Ego One - Pure | Fresh | First
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're Moving. So, we've disabled new registrations on this forum. The forum will not officially be released until 8 PM Pacific Standard Time (Friday, Sept, 9th, 2010)~ http://www.ego-one.net/

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dragonfir731

Dragonfir731
Manager
Feature: Interview with Ryan Scherf Bf8cBackground:

Ryan Scherf is an amazing web designer and graphic artist. He is an expert on many coding languages including Javascript, Ruby, and Python. He has graciously accepted to be interviewed not on his programing skills, but in his web design skills. Some of his designs include Bloom Health and Bid Sketch.

His site is: http://ryanscherf.net/

What was the reason that you go into designing?

I actually earned a 4-year degree in Computer Science, and always knew I would be in the technology/engineering field. My first job out of college was a Java Development internet and a health care company and I hated every minute of it. I didn't see the fun of reading/writing to a database, so I pursue my real passion, which was web design.

How important do you think the tie between graphics and the coding element of a web design is?

As a designer, it's important to take into account all aspects of what makes a great website. Often times, there will be technical shortcomings well out of your control that you will simply need to deal with. I have never envisioned the process from graphics to coding as having a clear distinction, as its important to have any designer at least have input into what is being developed. Until recently, I've always done my own slicing work, so as I designed each page I took into account exactly what would be needed to convert it to a working website.

Which field did you get into first, graphics or coding?

I actually started doing both, although when I started coding it was much more difficult to actually code websites (using table-based layouts), so there wasn't much left in terms of time for any type of graphic design. Several years ago I switched over to creating everything in Photoshop first, and then executing on the code after I added all of the bells and whistles to the concept.

Do you consider the creation of a concept image an important element in the design process?

I have always provided an initial concept design to any of my clients. I believe it's important for the client to see exactly what the designer is thinking. On the other hand, I do not advocate presenting multiple concepts to clients and having them choose between them. The client will always choose a few parts from each, and tell you to make a final concept that encompasses parts from each of the concepts.

Another reason I believe in only one concept is that the client is usually hiring you to provide direction on what the design should be; and as a designer, it's usually very difficult to be happy with multiple concepts for the same project. We as designers should steer a client to a solution, not overwhelm them with options

What are the challenges with bringing a concept image to life in code?

The most difficult thing for me is getting motivated. In my career, I have never experienced a website that was impossible to code. Unfortunately I don't enjoy coding as much as designing, so I always have trouble getting going. Another difficult thing is cross-browser functionality. We all have griped about the multiple Internet Explorers and their lack of support for just about anything, so I won't go into it here.

Have you started to use css3 in your designs?

CSS3 is very powerful, and I'm really just starting to take advantage of it. Unfortunately in my previous experience, I've dealt with more Internet Explorer users (the lower versions), than any other, but I'm slowly working some effects into the CSS and outside of the images (like drop shadows).

I guess my rule of thumb is: we make sacrifices on fonts and how they may look on varying computers, why wouldn't the same process hold true for varying browsers and their rendering of websites?

Do you try to make your sites viewable in all browsers?

Yes, however IE6 gets a limited-prettiness just by its nature. I'll use PNG fixes in places, however the fixes slow down performance so much that I often times just drop the images completely.

What advice would you give to someone that is starting out?

Stick with it. You won't be the best designer right away, nor will you gain any recognition at the beginning. Keep honing your skills. Redesign sites that you don't like, write case studies, and continuously try to improve your skills. Take feedback for what it is. Everyone has an opinion about design, but that doesn't mean everyone's opinion should be taken to heart.

What do you do mostly on your free time when not designing?

Enjoy time with my wife and 2 dogs, although in my free time, I'm still designing.

What are your plans for the future?

I'm currently employed at a new startup, and I'm very excited to see that take off over the next few years. After that, I'd love to have a sustainable web application as well as a booming freelance business where I could take on projects I was most interested in.

If you could change one thing in your designing what would that be?

Push the envelope. Set new trends, but just be on the somewhat leading-edge of them.

Last edited by Dragonfir731 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total

LH Justin

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:36 am by LH Justin

Great Feature!

MrMario

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:22 am by MrMario

Very good interview! Glad that we are going on to others and getting their name out so that they can get some business. Maybe he will put us on his site and spread the word.

Thanks Ryan!

Kryptonian

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:55 am by Kryptonian

Nice Feature Drag.

Placehold

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 pm by Placehold

Awesome designer,

I'm a fan of his work, very nice to see him doing interviews still Smile

Regards

Craig

karkooshy

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:23 pm by karkooshy

wow.
I saw his work on his website.
Everything looks so big... and professional.

I would like to see some forum designs Smile
that would be awesome- if he has any.
But seriously... he's awesome!

great interview! Big Grin

Dragonfir731

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 pm by Dragonfir731

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. If you have an idea for a feature just send me a PM.

Drag~

Anonymous

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:52 pm by Guest

Great interview!!!!

You are the best!!!

Death the Kid

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:41 am by Death the Kid

A very good interview, besides that this person is really good, go to your page and is really impressive. I was surprised and I hope someday to be like. Smile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Site powered by Forumotion
Copyright 2006-2013 | JalokimGraphics | Ego-One
<!-- <script type="text/javascript"> var vglnk = { key: '0d80ae9fe71cec9484f682bd59232f9e' }; (function(d, t) { var s = d.createElement(t); s.type = 'text/javascript'; s.async = true; s.src = '//cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js'; var r = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0]; r.parentNode.insertBefore(s, r); }(document, 'script')); </script> <div id="Forumactif_Video"></div> <script type="application/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ var slmadshb = slmadshb || {}; slmadshb.que = slmadshb.que || []; slmadshb.que.push(function() { slmadshb.display("Forumactif_Video"); }); //]]> </script> <script type="text/javascript">window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({flush: true});</script> <!-- BEGIN 1425605 - etoxic - FR - CDB - PCK - sticky footer - 728x90--> <div id="criteo_sticky"> <script type="text/javascript"> function CreateStickyFooterContainer(e) { var t = document.getElementById(e); t.style.position = "fixed", t.style.zIndex = "2147483646", t.style.bottom = "0", t.style.left = "0", t.style.padding = "0", t.style.borderColor = "rgb(196, 196, 196)", t.style.width = "100%", t.style.backgroundColor = "rgba(245, 245, 245, 0.54902)", t.style.borderStyle = "solid", t.style.borderWidth = "1px"; var o = document.createElement("a"); t.appendChild(o), o.style.backgroundColor = "rgb(221, 221, 221)", o.style.backgroundImage = "url('//static.criteo.net/images/criteo/publishertag/close.png')", o.style.backgroundRepeat = "no-repeat", o.style.backgroundPosition = "center", o.style.display = "block", o.style.position = "absolute", o.style.left = "0", o.style.top = "-24px", o.style.width = "23px", o.style.height = "24px", o.style.borderBottomColor = "#6d6c71", o.style.cursor = "pointer", o.onclick = function() { t.style.display = "none" }; var l = document.createElement("div"); l.id = "cto_sticky", l.style.margin = "0 auto", l.style.display = "table"; t.appendChild(l); return l.id }; Criteo.events.push(function() { if(!isMobile){ Criteo.Passback.RenderAd(CreateStickyFooterContainer("criteo_sticky"), function(){ var slotid = "criteo_sticky"; var div = document.getElementById(slotid); div.removeAttribute("style"); }); } else{ var slotid = "criteo_sticky"; var div = document.getElementById(slotid); div.style.display = "none"; } }); </script> </div> <!-- END CRITEO TAG --></body></html><strong><a href="https://www.forumotion.com/" target="_blank">Create a forum on Forumotion</a></strong>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<span class="gensmall">&copy;</span><a href="https://www.forumotion.com/phpbb" target="_blank">phpBB</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a name="bottom" href="https://help.forumotion.com/" target="_blank">Free forum support</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="/abuse?page=%2Ft902-feature-interview-with-ryan-scherf&amp;report=1" rel="nofollow">Report an abuse</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<strong><a href="https://www.forumotion.com" target="_blank">Forumotion.com</a></strong>Derp