Ego One - Pure | Fresh | First
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're Moving. So, we've disabled new registrations on this forum. The forum will not officially be released until 8 PM Pacific Standard Time (Friday, Sept, 9th, 2010)~ http://www.ego-one.net/

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MrMario

MrMario
Manager
Microsoft actively urges IE 6 users to upgrade Babbf619Microsoft has begun a campaign to actively urge users of its 8-year-old Internet Explorer 6 browser to upgrade.

After launching IE 8 in March, Micosoft has concurred with critics that IE 6 is outdated. Many people have dropped the older browser, but the remaining users are often the tough cases--those who don't have a choice because of corporate computing policy or who aren't tech-savvy enough to realize there's a reason to move on.

Microsoft is targeting with a campaign that runs through June 2010 that touts its own IE 8 as a better alternative. The campaign's first visible elements are a video aimed at online holiday shoppers and a Web slice to promote daily deals at eBay. Web slices are basically live bookmarks that can show miniature Web pages in the browser.

"What we're doing with the outreach is help users understand how to protect themselves against social engineering threats that exist and to help people understand how Internet Explorer 8 puts people in control of their own privacy online,"

According to Net Applications' statistics, Internet Explorer 6 is still the most widely used browser, with 23.3 percent share of usage in October, followed by IE 7 at 18.2 percent and IE 8 at 18.1 percent. The newer browsers are gaining on IE 6, but so are rivals including Mozilla's Firefox, Apple's Safari, and Google's Chrome.

Web developers often gripe about having to support IE 6, which doesn't support many modern features for more sophisticated Web sites and even applications. Microsoft acknowledges that it's holding back development of the Internet, too.

"The best thing a user can do to advance the Web is to help move people off IE 6," Servatius said.

Of course, many will upgrade to IE 8 by buying Windows 7. IE 6 was the browser that shipped with Windows XP, which remains entrenched, but there are signs Windows 7 is a more compelling successor than Windows Vista. That could help the corporate customers move away from IE 6, Servatius said.

"As enterprises migrate from whatever operating system they're using today to Windows 7, that's going to help deprecate IE 6," he said. "What we're doing is working both with consumers worldwide and IT professionals to help them understand what the benefits of a modern browser are."

Info Found => Here

Guest posting activated

Jason

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:44 pm by Jason

Almost no one is using IE6 by choice, they’re using it because they’re stuck, corporate monsters that have painted themselves into an IE6 corner. The only way that they can get onto IE8 is if they upgrade their operating system, and the only way they can do that is if they upgrade the computer infrastructure for their entire company at what must be a monster cost.

There is currently no benefit to waste money upgrading for these corporate monsters. Microsoft has to show a benefit till there is a benefit companies wont waste their money.

Placehold

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 pm by Placehold

Well the only people who use IE6 is business's, it costs too much to upgrade so you will find that business's will be using it for yet another year before complete support stops.

Companies, in fact anyone can upgrade to IE7 and 8 without upgrading their systems, they simply need the correct updates however the issue is funding. Companies must pay for a license for every computer which is no incentive at all.

I say Microsoft should issue an update that forces an upgrade when the user gets an active connection and should NOT charge companies for the upgrades.

In the meantime i would advise users to use temporary alternatives such as [url=http://spoon.net/]Spoon.net[/url.

Good post and about bloody time lmao

Regards

Craig

MrMario

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:54 pm by MrMario

Its also with School's they still run IE6. Like what you said Placehold they need to have a message saying Please upgrade to IE8 till you don't you can't use the internet besides going to the update page on MSto get IE8. What the companyies need to do is have a program that allows all computer update by one click and one user so it doesn't take to long to go to each computer and waste money. I am glad to see MS taking action by why now that is the question. They did have something if you are an IE6 user and upgrades to IE8 they will give 8 meals to someone that is in need.

LH Justin

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:08 am by LH Justin

It's about time Microsoft cleaned up this epic mess they've ignored for so long.

Dragonfir731

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 am by Dragonfir731

I agree with this totally. My school has run with a heavily restricted version of IE6 and has finally bent to allow its advanced users (me included)to use firefox 2.0 (not 3.5). When I tried to install chrome it let me install but then when I logged out and logged back in chrome was gone.

LH Justin

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 pm by LH Justin

dragonfir731 wrote:I agree with this totally. My school has run with a heavily restricted version of IE6 and has finally bent to allow its advanced users (me included)to use firefox 2.0 (not 3.5). When I tried to install chrome it let me install but then when I logged out and logged back in chrome was gone.
My school uses Internet Explorer 6 but we have the option to install Firefox 3.4.

Jalokim

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:57 pm by Jalokim

Upgrading to IE 8 or even 9 (or darn any IE) is a mistake!

They made a crap internet browser back in the day, and now they think every company, every firm, shop, and personal user has the cash to update their computers, load em up with windows se7en and use a slightly better IE8!

WRONG!

Unfortunately there is a giant black hole in the Microsoft monopoly and that is modernizing.
Sorry but most companies will still use their outdated CRT monitored, 800mHz computers to run simple business programs like word or other specialized software.

I doubt a company has time and effort and free flowing cash to upgrade their computers everytime IE comes out.

I'm running a little offtopic, but I doubt the new IE's will run on old XP computers with single core processors they way IE6 would on the same box.

I am glad the European version of Windows 7 is browserless.

Microsoft should stop being a child and just endorse mozilla or opera.
Cos truth is ... Google is taking over the world.
As soon as google goes hyper, Microsoft is gone and there will be nothing left of it.
If microsoft had firefox, at least firefox would still be around to hold up the name.

Lets put matters straight.
The internet is the most important thing right now. Without it , its like without air or nicotine for some.

Look at web applications ,
youtube has HD and HQ support! who remembers the old blurry , fuzzy and pixelated flv movies?

Youtube and all other sites are using the newest internet services and addons, like html5 and CSS3. and IE doesn't support it!
The net has more content, more function and IE reduces your internet experience.

Anonymous

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:48 am by pimentel

They should just upgrade to Firefox 3.5, open source! Almost zero negatives to Firefox 3.5! Won't hurt to switch to an open source web browser.

MrMario

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 am by MrMario

I am currently running IE6 right now on my programming class. I did have 3.0 but since the computer crashed had to get a new one that has IE6. I asked if I could get a new browser and he said No! I was like well others have IE8/FireFox so why can't I go to it? He didn't say anything after that.

Dion

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 am by Dion

I got a good laugh reading this thread.

Internet Explorer isn't going away. It will be the #1 browser three years from now, just like it is today, though it will no longer be as dominant as it is today.

The problem with IE6 isn't the browser itself. It is the number of brain-dead applications still being used that were written with Frontpage and require IE6 in order to work. Many businesses CAN'T get rid of IE6 because all their internal applications would no longer work! And even today, it is still amazing just how many commercial websites still run these applications. I'd bet that half the banks in the US still require their customers to be running IE6/IE7 (or IE8 in standard mode) in order to do online banking.

This is why it is premature to make any moves to things like CSS3 or HTML5. Why would any company throw away half their potential customers? Geez, most websites back off from full CSS2 compatibility because they know IE7 (forget IE6 for the moment) has no support for basic CSS2 functions like z-index, fixed positioning, table border spacing, and inherited rule values!

CharleX

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:02 am by CharleX

This is why Microsoft is flamed a lot. They have so many issues going on.

Placehold

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 am by Placehold

The answer to everyones issues,

Portable!

I found out that companies and most schools dont block portable apps from emptying onto the desktop.

Usually when you install an app it installs into the relevant reg files and program/system folders however if you install a portable app it only empties the content into a tree branch on the desktop.

Thus not actually installing and still runs.

So for the past few days i have sat and kitted out my work computer using portable apps instead of sending requests off to IT Smile

Firefox 3.6 and Opera, whoop whoop

Bloody love it Smile

Regards

Craig

Jalokim

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:28 pm by Jalokim

@dion , rounding up, we get back to my statement.
Microsoft have an issue with modernising their browser systems.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Site powered by Forumotion
Copyright 2006-2013 | JalokimGraphics | Ego-One
<!-- <script type="text/javascript"> var vglnk = { key: '0d80ae9fe71cec9484f682bd59232f9e' }; (function(d, t) { var s = d.createElement(t); s.type = 'text/javascript'; s.async = true; s.src = '//cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js'; var r = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0]; r.parentNode.insertBefore(s, r); }(document, 'script')); </script> <div id="Forumactif_Video"></div> <script type="application/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ var slmadshb = slmadshb || {}; slmadshb.que = slmadshb.que || []; slmadshb.que.push(function() { slmadshb.display("Forumactif_Video"); }); //]]> </script> <script type="text/javascript">window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({flush: true});</script> <!-- BEGIN 1425605 - etoxic - FR - CDB - PCK - sticky footer - 728x90--> <div id="criteo_sticky"> <script type="text/javascript"> function CreateStickyFooterContainer(e) { var t = document.getElementById(e); t.style.position = "fixed", t.style.zIndex = "2147483646", t.style.bottom = "0", t.style.left = "0", t.style.padding = "0", t.style.borderColor = "rgb(196, 196, 196)", t.style.width = "100%", t.style.backgroundColor = "rgba(245, 245, 245, 0.54902)", t.style.borderStyle = "solid", t.style.borderWidth = "1px"; var o = document.createElement("a"); t.appendChild(o), o.style.backgroundColor = "rgb(221, 221, 221)", o.style.backgroundImage = "url('//static.criteo.net/images/criteo/publishertag/close.png')", o.style.backgroundRepeat = "no-repeat", o.style.backgroundPosition = "center", o.style.display = "block", o.style.position = "absolute", o.style.left = "0", o.style.top = "-24px", o.style.width = "23px", o.style.height = "24px", o.style.borderBottomColor = "#6d6c71", o.style.cursor = "pointer", o.onclick = function() { t.style.display = "none" }; var l = document.createElement("div"); l.id = "cto_sticky", l.style.margin = "0 auto", l.style.display = "table"; t.appendChild(l); return l.id }; Criteo.events.push(function() { if(!isMobile){ Criteo.Passback.RenderAd(CreateStickyFooterContainer("criteo_sticky"), function(){ var slotid = "criteo_sticky"; var div = document.getElementById(slotid); div.removeAttribute("style"); }); } else{ var slotid = "criteo_sticky"; var div = document.getElementById(slotid); div.style.display = "none"; } }); </script> </div> <!-- END CRITEO TAG --></body></html><strong><a href="https://www.forumotion.com/create-forum/phpbb3" target="_blank">Free forum</a></strong>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<span class="gensmall">&copy;</span><a href="https://www.forumotion.com/phpbb" target="_blank">phpBB</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a name="bottom" href="https://help.forumotion.com/" target="_blank">Free forum support</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="/abuse?page=%2Ft659-microsoft-actively-urges-ie-6-users-to-upgrade&amp;report=1" rel="nofollow">Report an abuse</a>&nbsp;|&nbsp;<strong><a href="https://www.forumotion.com" target="_blank">Forumotion.com</a></strong>Derp